Eleigh Llaneras

The other night I dreamt of climbing stairs in a huge coliseum. I climbed the stairs, just continued climbing as I tried to look for something I cannot recall anymore. And as I looked back, the path I have been trudging turned into a dark labyrinth. I then looked at the floor I stopped in. The place was like a 5-star hotel with the whole glossy wood-yellow light feel. Then it dawned on me. I wanted to go home, and there’s no other way home than to go back down. The huge crazily creepy labyrinth was something I won’t even dare enter and so I tried to ask for other directions. I wondered if there was an elevator somewhere or a switch to light the stairs. I talked to an adult woman who was wearing a business suit who came walking briskly towards the stairs where I was. I asked her for directions. She was obviously going downstairs but she told me she has no idea how she got there in the first place but she was also clueless how for several times already she manages to go downstairs, down to where certain evil entities may be suspected to be gallivanting around.

Creepy dream with an open-ended question: Did I decide to stay on that floor or go down that horror downstairs to go home? I have no idea whether anything happened after, maybe I woke up, or I simply forgot. But what did it all mean?

I told my friend about that dream and he answered me right away. The ‘climb’ represented me soaring high from the confines of mediocrity. This one final college year I decided to run for President in Women’s Club, volunteered leader of our duty group, and tried to be a better person. I wanted so much to make up for the mess I made during my last year in High school. The ‘floor’ I was in represented my dream. The high society has always been my dream destination. The feeling of ‘wanting to go home’ may be a call to go back and live in the present. It may also mean an invitation to humility that despite the wonderful place before me, I still yearned to go back home, that despite the responsibility, I wanted to live an ordinary life. The ‘dark labyrinth’ behind me represents an unwanted past, which holds me back from being consistent in the present. It may mean that instead of evaluating how much I am moving towards the future, I keep on comparing myself to who I was in the past. And that definitely scared me from going back to the ordinary Me.

The lesson here? As Mr. Robinson said, “Keep moving forward.” and as I move forward, memories and lessons from the past will continue to inspire me, my dream will continue to push me.

Labels: edit post
0 Responses

Post a Comment

My Blog List

Popular Posts